Fall Family

Fall Family
The Wilson's

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Anger Management


I've always found myself freaking out about mixing the Play-Doh colors. Tonight, I got a revelation while we were playing with our Play-Doh. Why does it matter if Halle mixes the colors? As you can see she mixed the colors and it made a beautiful Tye-Dye!! :)
Don't sweat the small stuff right?
When it comes to parenting I will never tell you that I've got it all figured out. Having a 2 year old home ALL day...especially with all of these snow days... can be very wearing on a person. Hats off to all you stay-at-home moms. I have found myself getting angry at Halle for smooshing cupcake all over the table and slinging lettuce and cheese all over the clean kitchen floor. I get aggravated at the messes she makes with all of her toys. She just doesn't understand that we should put one toy away before we get out another. DUH!! That's when I have to slap myself and realize we are talking about a TWO year old. Two year olds are supposed to make messes!
I have to constantly remind myself that it's all about the way I react...and to react in a way that is appropriate for her age!!


Halle has a MAJOR attitude...quite possibly borderline bratty at times...she has to get her way...and when she wants something, she wants it NOW! I guess she gets that part honestly. From what I hear I was a pretty demanding child. Today she wanted to watch a TV show on my phone. I was trying to pack in wood from the garage to keep the fire going and I told her to wait just a minute until I was done. She started in with the attitude. I immediately stopped what I was doing and said, with my finger pointed, "You listen to me right now....blah, blah, blah..." Her eyes got very big and she stopped. I finished by saying, "Do you understand me?" As if I were talking to my 2nd Graders. She walked into the other room and a few seconds later she said, "Mom, I am really sorry." It melted my heart a little. AND it worked! I got through to her this time!!


I find myself sometimes having to take a deep breathe and even walking out of the room at times. I have to constantly remind myself that I am raising a 2 year old...and to treasure the times of smooshing cupcakes. I have to remind myself to treasure the hundreds of times I hear, "Mom, will you play with me?" or "I want to hold you!" There is nothing in my house that needs to be done bad enough to neglect these precious moments.


1 comment:

  1. That post is exactly my thoughts! Kale even played with Play-doh tonight and I said, "Don't mix the colors!". And when I use my 'mommy voice', Kale looks at me and asks, "Mommy, you happy?" or "mommy you love me?" "Yes Kale, I always love you."

    ReplyDelete