Fall Family

Fall Family
The Wilson's

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Brantley's Birth Story

On Friday, May 24, I had my last check up with Dr. Menges. When I went in, I had high blood pressure and traces of protein in my urine (which are both signs of preeclampsyia.) So, they sent me home with orders to do a 24 hour urine analysis on Monday (Memorial Day) and periodically check my blood pressure. If my BP got to 160/90 or above I was told to go straight to the hospital. On Saturday, May 25, we literally lounged around the house all day. I had no energy and all I really wanted to do was sleep or have the baby. Jake and I took Halle to Engler park and we went for a walk hoping that it would help get things going. He really wanted me to have Brantley on this weekend because that meant he wouldn't have to take off an extra day of work! :) I was scheduled to be induced on Thursday, May 30 if he did not come before.

Once we got back from the park on Saturday we all took a nap. When I got up my blood pressure was 156/80. My normal BP is normally VERY low. So, this concerned me a bit. I layed back down on the couch for 30 minutes to see if I could get it to come down. When I checked it again it was 174/90. I freaked out and called my doctor to see what I should do. She told me to go on into the hospital to be on the safe side.

We took Halle over to Jason and Sarah's house to spend the night. We got to the hospital around 7:30 p.m. When we got to the hospital they checked my BP and said it was normal. It was still running in the 140s which is incredibly high for me. But, they didn't know that. They kept me for 3 hours on observation and ended up sending us home around 11:30 p.m. We checked with Halle to see if she wanted to come home and she said she wanted to stay the night.

We got home around 12:30 a.m.

Around 2 a.m. I woke up needing to go to the bathroom. This was normal for me. I was usually up 2-3 times a night. I layed back down and started having contractions. I woke Jake up and told him I was having contractions and I would let him know if I thought we needed to go back up. He went back to sleep. I tried to go back to sleep and forget about the pain I was in but they kept coming anywhere between 2-5 minutes apart. I finally decided to get up and maybe try moving around to see if it helped. I cleaned up the kitchen and switched loads of laundry. I went back to the couch and "tried" once again to forget about the pain. The contractions seemed to stop a little while I was laying on my side on the couch. When I stood up to walk back to bed I couldn't move from the pain. I slowly walked back to the bedroom and and got back in bed. I began timing my contractions and trying hard not to breathe too hard to wake up Jake. It was 3:30 a.m. and I knew he would need to get some sleep to drive us back up to the hospital. My plan was to wait until 5 a.m. to head back up. Around 4 a.m. I couldn't take it anymore. I decided that I needed to wake him up to let him know that I really thought I was in labor. I still wanted to try to wait it out a little bit but he bounced right up and said, "Let's just go now. Even if it stops and we have to turn back around...I promise I won't be mad." I think he was a little worried about the drive and especially being Memorial Day Weekend...Cops were everywhere!

It was the longest hour and 15 minutes to Mercy Hospital. I watched the clock the entire time...breathing through each contraction. It was so early that I didn't want to call anyone. (although I was certain I was in labor, I wanted to wait as long as possible just in case they sent me back home) I had texted Amber around 2:00 when the pains started so she already had a heads up. When we got to Herky it was around 5 a.m. so I decided I probably needed to call my mom.

At one point, I asked Jake if he was getting nervous. I was being pretty dramatic in the passenger seat...rightfully so! He said, "No, I am doing good...I just don't want to get pulled over. Although it would be just like the movies if we did. I could honestly say...My wife is in labor!" LOL!!

We made it back just 5 hours after being discharged and the same nurse was working at the front desk. I really wanted to punch her in the face when she started correcting my breathing. She kept saying, "Short breaths...he,he,he,he" I am pretty sure she wanted me to hyperventilate because everyone knows you don't do SHORT BREATHS WHEN YOU ARE IN LABOR!! In through your nose and out through your mouth...DUH! She did make a comment, "You changed shirts!" LOL! Ummm...Yeah...now get me to my room lady! Literally every 2 minutes my contracions were coming and whatever I was doing I had to stop to breathe through the pain. They finally brought me a wheelchair and as I sat down in the chair, my water broke! I always wanted to have my water break on its own. I had always heard stories about it and I knew that once it broke there was no turning back...there would be a baby within 24 hours!

We got into the room and the nurse kept asking me all the same questions they asked just 5 hours prior. The one that really got me was, "Have you ever thought about hurting yourself or others?" This question came right in the middle of a very painful contraction. But, I answered, "NO!" Eventhough I really wanted to hurt her at that very moment. I really believe that this nurse was still "in-training" or she was at the end of her shift and didn't want to start my IV...because she blew my vain. I yelled, "Oh dear GOD!" I have no issues with needles. I can give blood any time and I can even watch the needle going in. But, this HURT!! I looked at Jake and he gave me this, "Would you stop it!" look... LOL! I couldn't help it. I was so aggravated at this woman!

Her shift was over and we got two nurses that were very happy! Dr. Menges called me on the phone to see how I was doing. I asked her when I could get my epidural and she said whenever I want! As soon as I got off the phone I ordered my EPI! There is no way I could go through that without meds. I'm not really sure why any woman would but hey--more power to them! I had an epi with Halle and it numbed everything from the waist down. But, with this one I was able to still move my feet and legs. I was very happy with this because I knew I would be able to feel to push. They gave me a pain button to push and throughout the day when I would forget to push it, I had my coaches (Amber, Mom & Courtney) pushing it for me!

I was dialated to a 7 by 1:00 p.m. and I was stuck there. They had me turn on my right side (because that was the way the baby was happy) and I had to use this peanut shaped ball thing to try to help get me to progress more. Around 5ish, they checked me again and I had made it to an 8.5. Dr. Menges ordered a very small dose of pitocin to get the contractions to get a little harder and get me the rest of the way.

She came in a little before 6:00 p.m. We made a goal to have him here within 30 minutes of pushing. She joked about covering up her scrubs because she didn't want to mess up her outfit. I just love her! I think we had him here within 32 minutes. Not too far off from our goal. He made his grand entrance into the world at 6:29 p.m. He weighed 8lbs. 4oz. 20 inches long.

I look awful here...but I guess it is acceptable since I just gave birth! :)

Dr. Menges

One of my favorites (He was screaming bloody murder but when Jake started talking to him he stopped and just looked at him) He knew his Daddy's voice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment