Fall Family

Fall Family
The Wilson's

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Disciplining other Childern

While I was cleaning the basement this morning I started thinking about the issue of disciplining other children. I guess because my basement was a complete disgusting disaster and partly because we just let ALL the kids go down and have a free for all. Anytime you do that you are going to have a DISASTER!! It's not a huge deal because we don't spend a lot of time down there. There isn't a lot to destroy.

This has been a recent discussion of the family. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on the matter. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. I guess the reason I differ in opinions is partly because my job is to "discipline" each and everyday. I feel there is a right and wrong way to approach it and if you get rules established from the moment they walk in the door it makes it a whole lot easier. I've never had any problems in my classroom with discipline. My students know exactly what I expect and generally they don't cross the boundry. However, if they do they know there are going to be consequences.

I believe this needs to be the case in our parenting. Halle is not a perfect child. I'm sure there are times when people have thought, "Why doesn't she do something with that kid?" It's a constant battle but one that I ALWAYS win!! LOL!! The parent should ALWAYS win the battle!

Back to my thoughts...I feel like if other kids are in my house and I see something that I disapprove of (ex: jumping on the couch, running in the house, throwing balls, etc.) I should be able to ask them to stop. I would expect anybody to do the same with my child. This is a matter of respect in my opinion.

Just curious what everyone else thinks on the matter. I know everyone probably differs in opinion and that is totally o.k. I respect everyone's opinion. Just know that when you are in my house...and I see something that makes my skin crawl...I'm probably going to say something! That's just me! We are getting ready to go on vacation with three of my nieces/nephews. I just want opinions before I attack (maybe not such a good word in this case) the task!! LOL!!

1 comment:

  1. I agree! If they are your house, and especially if they are mistreating your personal belongings or disrupting the house. I also feel it's very important to redirect a child in the public setting if I feel that they are unsafe or could cause a safety concern for someone else. I think the most important thing is to stay objective and not let your personal morals and values skew your judgment on what the child should or should not be doing. I ALWAYS redirect kids if their behavior has a direct effect on myself, my family, or a specific situation.

    ReplyDelete