Fall Family

Fall Family
The Wilson's

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Depression?

I've been feeling very down lately without any real explanation. I mean, sure I've got stressful situations in my life right now but I've always dealt with stress relatively easy. I've always been an optimist that looks on the bright side of life. But, for some reason I am finding myself in an "unhappy place." I don't like the "unhappy place" and I refuse to stay here for very long.

I am questioning whether or not I am depressed...

I'm putting this out there because I'm not afraid of people judging me. I also realize that depression affects more people than we can ever begin to imagine. I refuse to let it control me and I am determined to overcome it.

So, I started researching depression and found a few interesting statistics. I figured I would share some of them...I highlighted a few that stood out to me.

**Recent statistics suggest roughly seven of every one hundred people suffer depression after age 18 at some point in their lives.
**As many as one in 33 children and one in eight adolescents have clinical depression. Suicide is the third leading cause of death for ages 10 to 24.
**Most people diagnosed with major depression receive a diagnosis between their late twenties to mid-thirties.
**About six million people are affected by late life depression, but only 10% ever receive treatment.
**For every one man that develops depression, two women will, regardless of racial or ethnic background or economic status.
**More than half of all people caring for an older relative show clinically significant depressive symptoms.
**By the year 2020, depression will be the 2nd most common health problem in the world

I got a little laugh out of the statistic that says...For every one man that develops depression, two women will...(What are they trying to say? We are more emotional than men?) That would be the understatement of the century!!

Anyway, just keep me in your prayers as I fight this small battle. I will not stay here long!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment