Fall Family

Fall Family
The Wilson's

Monday, October 4, 2010

Teaching is SO much more...

My day at school always starts out the same. My students come into the classroom at 7:55. They flip their attendance cards, get two sharpened pencils and begin working on morning work. I usually help them out with the pencil sharpening (otherwise they could be there FOREVER!!).

One day last week, as I was sharpening a students pencil, I was completely humbled. Second graders love to tell stories to their teachers...some things I'd rather not hear. This student said, "We don't have electric at our house so we are using camping stoves to heat our water." At first, I don't think it quite registered to me what he was saying. After all he didn't sound upset by it. He said it very matter-of-factly...like it was totally normal. So I started asking more questions. "Why don't you have electric?" He said, "Oh it was shut off on Monday." Although he didn't seem to be phased by this at all...it literally brought me to tears and made me realize how much I take for granted. What I consider to be a "basic need" may be a luxury to some. Today I asked him if it was still off and he said, "Yes, and it is getting COLD!" :-( I'm currently trying to get them help.

It is moments like these that I realize why I became a teacher. Sure, my job is to educate children. But, it is so much more than that. I have to remind myself that some of these children need more than just an education. They need love, praise and attention. They need to hear about all the good things they are doing. Some kids do not hear one kind word at home. I think it is so easy to get caught up in meeting AYP...and teaching all of our GLE's to prepare our students for the MAP. But, as I was reminded last week...it is SO much more than that!

Please pray for all of our children who are less fortunate.

I feel the need to thank my parents for all they are doing for two young adults. My parents have the biggest hearts of anybody I know. They are making a difference in the lives of two high school students. Their story would rip your heart out! Please keep them in your prayers as they adjust to having two teenagers in the house again. We all have a difficult road ahead.

1 comment: